Joe Satriani performed at the Talking Stick Resort Grand Ballroom on March 5, 2016, on his Surfing To Shockwave World Tour. If you want a concert with vocals and harmonies, then this is not your type of show. If you are looking for a concert of extraordinary musicians producing amazing instrumental harmonies, then this is most definitely for you. This is more of a rock version of a classical symphony, with Joe Satriani being the Mozart or Bach. Satriani’s career has spanned over 40 years. Early in his career, he instructed other guitarists, including Steve Vai, Metallica’s Kirk Hammett and Testament’s Alex Skolnick. Satriani released his first album, Not of This Earth, In 1986. Since then he has produced 15 albums, with Shockwave Supernova being his most recent release in 2015.
Satriani is best known for his work in Chickenfoot and his G3 live shows. The G3 shows were a multi-guitarist traveling experience that included 2 other renowned guitarists. They would each perform a live set, concluding with a jam session that included all 3 guitarists. Joe has had a number of guitarists join him over the years in G3, including Steve Vai and Eric Johnson. I was lucky enough to see the 2007 G3 show that included John Petrucci (Dream Theater) and Paul Gilbert (Mr. Big).
The current tour is a 30 year retrospective of Satriani’s career, which include songs from Not of This Earth, Surfing With The Alien, Crystal Planet, Flying in a Blue Dream and his latest album, Shockwave Supernova. The current lineup for the tour is Joe Satriani (Guitar), Mike Keneally (Keyboards & Guitar), Marco Minnemann (Drums) and Bryan Beller (Bass). It was a real treat to see Satriani perform and show off his many guitar styles including two-handed tapping, extreme whammy bar effects, rapid alternate picking and sweep picking. It was over 2 hours of amazing music performed by a master guitarist.
Review and photos by Fred Kuhlman
Photos © Fred Kuhlman 2016
The “Surfing To Shockwave” setlist included:
Set 1: Album
- Shockwave Supernova (Shockwave Supernova)
- Flying in a Blue Dream (Flying in a Blue Dream)
- Ice 9 (Surfing With The Alien)
- Crystal Planet (Crystal Planet)
- Not of This Earth (Not of This Earth)
- On Peregrine Wings (Shockwave Supernova)
- Friends (Single)
- If I Could Fly (Is There Love in Space?)
- Butterfly and Zebra (Shockwave Supernova)
- Cataclysmic (Shockwave Supernova)
- Summer Song (The Extremist)
Set 2: Album
- Drum solo (Marco Minnemenn)
- Crazy Joey (Shockwave Supernova)
- Lost in a Memory (Shockwave Supernova)
- Keyboard Solo (Mike Keneally)
- Luminous Flesh Giants (Joe Satriani)
- Always With Me, Always With You (Surfing With The Alien)
- Guitar,Bass and Keyboard Jam.
- God Is Crying (Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards)
- If There Is No Heaven (Shockwave Supernova)
- Goodbye Supernova (Shockwave Supernova)
- Satch Boogie (Surfing With The Alien)
- Big Bad Moon (Flying in a Blue Dream)
- Surfing With the Alien (Surfing With The Alien)
- Ending Jam